DEBATE 2018 - FINALS
19th L.N.Birla Memorial Debate
Finals - 11.07.2018
Time - 10 A.M.
The Topic for the Finals is- In the opinion of the House 'Democracy has failed in India'.
- Dr Sandip Chatterjee - A Consultant Neurosurgeon.
Dr. Chatterjee is the Academic Co-ordinator at Park Clinic, Kolkata and Professor and Head of Neurosurgery of VIMS, Kolkata. He is Editor-In-Chief of 2 neurosurgical journals, apart from being associate editor of 6 other global neurosurgical journals. He has over 70 scientific publications and several books to his credit.
He is also an avid photographer and a founder member of The Calcutta Debating Circle. Dr. Chatterjee introduced micro-neurosurgery for brain and spinal disorders in the private sector in Kolkata when neither was available in the city two decades ago.
- Mr. Noomi Mehta - Chairman of Selvel One, India’s largest out of home company. Mr. Mehta is also Director & Founder Of Oval Developers Pvt Ltd and of Penada Company Limited, Thailand. He is the Founder Chairman and Director of Indian Outdoor Advertising Association. He was also the President of the Advertising Club, Calcutta. He takes active interest in sporting & social activities and has held eminent positions. The most notable being President of the Indian Rugby Football Union, President of the Calcutta Cricket & Football Club, Senior Trustee of the Calcutta Zoroastrian Community’s Religious & Charity Funds and last but not the least past Hon. Secretary of Alumnorum Societas ( Old Boys Association Of St Xavier’s Collegiate School).
- Ms Malavika Banerjee - Ms Malavika Banerjee was the Director Of Kolkata Literary Meet, a Literary Festival that held its fourth edition in 2015. She is also the Owner-Director of Byloom, a store that promotes and retails handloom and handmade items. Her primary job is Sports Marketing, wherein her 20-year-old company, Gameplan Sports works with Kolkata Knight Riders and Sportspersons ranging from MS Dhoni to Boris Becker.
- Ms.Peacock - Ms. Peacock began her teaching career in 1976. A former Principal of La Martiniere For Girls’, Kolkata, she is currently Director at Gems Akademia International School. Ms. Peacock has also worked with the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, Delhi and has been a resource person conducting workshops and training programmes across the country particularly in English. She is passionate about teaching and has been involved with school teaching and teacher training for several decades. She teaches English and phonics through music, with rhythm and songs. Ms. Peacock has received several outstanding awards: The National Award for Teachers from the President of India, the Mother Teresa Millennium Award, the Telegraph Award for Noted Academician, and the Outstanding Teacher Award from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Mr Sumit Das Gupta - Mr Das Gupta has been a journalist for 24 years. He joined the ABP group back in 1994, and became the editor of Metro and then t2 of The Telegraph. He is now all set to start his own media venture.
The following eight teams were shortlisted for the finals.
- La Martiniere for Boys
- The Heritage School
- DPS Ruby Park
- Birla High School
- Lakshmipat Singhania Academy
- St. Xavier’s Collegiate School
- Calcutta Boys School
- Mahadevi Birla World Academy
- Best Speaker –Sai Snigdha Nitala of Mahadevi Birla World Academy
- Prizes: A Trophy from Birla High school.
- A Trophy from the BHS Alumni,
- Rs 10000/- Sponsored by Shri. S.K. Birla Chairperson Vidya Mandir Society
- Redmi Pro Note 5
- A Certificate
- Runner Up Speaker -- Riddhi Panja of The Heritage School
- Prizes: A Certificate
- Rs 5000/-
- Best Team – Sai Snigdha Nitala and Prachi Chowdhury (Mahadevi Birla World Academy)
- Prizes: Trophy for the school
- Rs 7000/ to each member of the team
- Apple IPads each
- A Certificate each
- All finalists received
- Prizes:A participation certificate
- A gift hamper from Linc pens
- Starmark Book coupons
- Book Coupons sponsored by the BHS alumni
- A cash prize of Rs.1000/- Sponsored by Shri S.K. Birla, Chairperson Vidya Mandir Society