DEBATE 2019 - FINALS
The Topic for the Finals is- In the opinion of the House ‘The inflated marking system has created a bubble that will soon burst’
The Chief Guest on the Finals : Lt Gen M M Naravane, PVSM,AVSM,SM,VSM,GOC-in-C, Eastern Command.
- Dr. Kunal Sarkar - Dr. Sarkar is an eminent Cardiothoracic Surgeon who is also the President of Calcutta Debating Circle.
- Mr. Rajiv Soni - Mr. Rajiv Soni, has worked with Tata Steel Limited in the corporate affairs and communications department for over 25 years. Post tenure as a banker he has also served the Union Bank of India for seven years. He has been an integral part of the teams that oversaw the transition of “commodities to brands”. Mr Soni’s other interests lie in photography and archival research. His work on colonial Calcutta has been the subject of two exhibitions and has featured in publications. His book, “100 cc- a Century of Communication” was released by one the celebrated Mr. Ratan Tata. His forthcoming books are on the history of brands of Tata Steel and kaleidoscope -a coffee table book on the city of Patna. He is also a jury member of the merit list that selects and awards path breaking work in architecture and represents Takshila education society on the governing council of Intach.
- Dr. Indrajit Roy - Dr. Indrajit Roy graduated in medicine from the Calcutta medical college where he was awarded college scholarships, government prize in clinical surgery, and gold medal in surgery. A keen debater from his schooldays, Dr. Roy represented his college in almost all the inter-college debates and won many trophies. As former professor of neurosurgery, Dr. Roy has published several scientific research papers and was also the president of the association of neuroscientists of Eastern India. Dr Roy’s expertise extends to the field of acting too. An amateur actor and director on the bengali stage, Dr. Roy has been the president of Kalakranti, an amateur drama group. He had been conferred an award of excellence on October 19, 2013 by the rotary club of Calcutta Metropolitan for “his contribution to society and achievement in the field of his vocation”. He was the president of the association of neuroscientists of Eastern India. Dr. Roy is also a Rotarian (Paul Harris fellow) with deep interest in philosophy, history, and literature. Dr. Roy was appointed Sheriff of Calcutta in 2011.
- Mrs Chamma Mukherjee - Mrs Chamma Mukherjee began her schooling life at St. Teresa’s secondary school, kidderpore and later passed out from Beacon School Korba, Madhya Pradesh. Having graduated from Loreto house, Mrs Mukherjee started practice as tax consultant in 1984. Subsequently, she shifted practice to high court & supreme court in civil & criminal laws. Mrs Mukherjee has held workshops on industrial laws, women empowerment & gender sensitization organised by CII, Saha Institute of Basic Sciences, SN Bose Institute for Basic Sciences, Calcutta University, MN Dastur & Co ….. to name a few. As judge she has presided over several notable debates conducted by Atais, Kolkata. Currently she is a member of a number of internal complaints committee established under the sexual harassment of women at workplace (prevention protection & redressal) act 2013 and an empaneled senior government advocate for the state of West Bengal.
- Mr. Jimmy Tangree - Mr. Jimmy Tangree completed his education from St Xaviers and his love for music led him into deejaying and radio. He bagan his djing career in 1983 and later joined as Taj Bengal in 1993. Mr Tangree conducted opening acts for Dr Alban, Tata Young, Bryan Adams and Paul Oakenfold, shows in Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Goa and workshops on radio in IIM, Pailan, NSHM, Symboisis, St Xaviers and other reputed institutions. As Deputy Manager programming and production of Times FM, he was responsible for conceptualizing programs and monitoring all technical aspects. His shows britannia little hearts love is in the air and power dance which ran successfully for 3 years in 5 centres. Currently Mr Tangree heads the 91.9 friends FM since April 2014 and controls the entire operations, business and programming of the station.
- Best Speaker – Rayan Chakrabarty from Birla High School
- Prizes - A Trophy from Birla High School .
- A Trophy from the BHS Alumni.
- Rs 10000/- Sponsored by Shri. S.K. Birla,Chairperson ,Vidya Mandir Society.
- Redmi Pro Note 7.
- A Certificate.
- Runner Up Speaker - Ishaan Sengupta from DPS Ruby Park
- Prizes: A Certificate
- Rs 5000/-
- Best Team - Sreshtha Basu Roychowdhury & Sayantika Jaiswal from Shri Shikshayatan School
- Prizes: Trophy for the school
- Rs 7000/ to each member of the team
- Apple IPads each
- A Certificate each
- All finalists received
- Prizes:A participation certificate.
- A gift hamper from Linc pens.
- Starmark Book coupons.
- Book Coupons sponsored by the BHS alumni.
- Fastrack Bags sponsored by Mr.Lalwani.
- A cash prize of Rs.1000/- Sponsored by Shri S.K. Birla, Chairperson Vidya Mandir Society.